Local Moving? Here's Everything You Need to Know.
Local Moving - The Long & Short Ends of It
Even if you're just moving next door, you might need to hire some moving help. Before you do, you should determine what type of move is right for you as doing so can save you time and money.
Figuring out the best way to move is not difficult, but it does require knowing the basics:
Four Types of Moves
- Full-service move – In a full-service move, a moving company will load your stuff into the truck, do the driving, and then unload it at your new home. They might also offer additional services, such as packing and temporary storage. You can usually choose among flat rates, by-the-pound rates and hourly. No matter the type of rate, this is typically the most expensive option.
- U-Pack service – Hiring U-Pack still involves hiring movers, but you’re the one who does the loading and unloading. The moving company will deliver a storage container to your house, which you load. Then the moving company transports it to your new place.
- Truck rental – If you can load your own stuff and drive a truck, then renting a moving truck (and recruiting a few friends) might be the right choice for your move. Renting a moving truck is much cheaper than a full-service move, but don’t forget to consider the cost of gas when estimating the total price.
- Do it yourself – in the do-it-yourself move, you pack, load, and transport everything by yourself, whether in your own car or in a friend’s pick-up truck.
Which Move is Right for You?
So which is the way to go? Here are some things to consider before making your decision:
- How much time do you have? If you simply don’t have time to spend on loading up a truck and doing your own driving, then the decision is easy: you need full-service movers.
- Is it worth your time? If you’re thinking about going with self-service or a truck rental, don’t forget to consider the value of your own time and effort. If you make more money per hour than a moving service would cost, you might as well work.
- Can you move your stuff without help? Professional movers have the tools, trucks, and muscle to move just about anything safely and efficiently. You, on the other hand, might not.
- How much money can you spend on moving? If you have $100 on hand, you might have to force a do-it-yourself move no matter what your ideal situation would be. Conversely, if you have $10,000 to spend, you can probably safely make any choice.
- Where are you moving? Moving across town takes a lot less effort and affords you a lot more flexibility than moving across the country.
In making your decision, consider the pros and cons of your moving options carefully. Also, take a look at our moving tips. Once you’ve evaluated your options, make a choice. There’s still a lot of work to be done.