by submitting the form below
or calling (888) 293-3932
Moving from one city or state to another is a major undertaking. You will have to go through your belongings, pack them and move them. You might use a moving company or rent a truck and transport things yourself. However, moving to another country is much more complicated than moving within the same country, and you will probably want to hire an international moving company.
Before the actual move, you should do many things a few months ahead of the move date. Your to-do list should include:
* Find out the specific visas and permits you will need. Apply for them as soon as you can because they can take time to be processed.
* Vaccinations may be required for you, your family and your pets. Get the vaccinations and keep copies of the vaccination records.
* Get an international driving permit; this will allow you to drive in your new country until you obtain a license from that country.
* Find out if your smartphone will work in your new country. You may have to request that your carrier unlock your phone or buy a new one.
* Be sure that your passport is up to date.
* Your current health care coverage will probably not be valid in another country. See what options are available in the country you are moving to.
* Check to see if your electronics will work in your new country without having to use a transformer. You may want to sell what you already own and purchase new items after your move.
* Be certain that you will be able to access your current bank accounts or find out how to arrange a transfer if you decide to move your banking to your new country.
You will need to check the specific rules and regulations of the country you are moving to.
Each country has its own laws and customs regulations that govern what can and can not be brought into the country. Failure to comply with these regulations can result in paying fines or having your belongings confiscated. You should find out what is required by the country you are moving to.
Some items that are commonly prohibited are toxic substances, illegal drugs, agricultural products and pornographic materials. Some countries will allow firearms if customs procedures are followed.
A reputable international moving company should be knowledgeable about prohibited items, customs requirements, duties and fees.
Choosing the right international moving company will make the moving process less stressful. There are several questions you should ask when deciding which company to use:
* Who will be doing the packing and handling?
* How are quotes made, and what services are included?
* Is door-to-door service offered, or just shipping between ports?
* What is covered by the company’s insurance policies?
* What modes of transportation will be used?
* How long will it take for my goods to be delivered?
* Are there other possible fees that aren’t included in the quote?
Billy.com will introduce you to reputable international moving companies at no cost to you, and you will receive quotes with no obligation. If you are planning an international move, contact Billy.com today.
Billy.com has partnered with many full service international moving companies, but if you are looking to move within the United States or Canada, be sure to check out our full service moving page. If you have something smaller that needs moved, such as a couch or TV, you can get a free moving labor quote here.
Billy.com is a free service to assist customers in connecting with local service providers. All service providers are independent and Billy.com does not warrant or guarantee any service performed or product offered. It is the responsibility of the customer to verify that the hired provider furnishes the necessary license and insurance required for the work being performed. All persons depicted in a photo or video are actors or models and not providers listed on Billy.com.